When might I need dental extractions?
Dental extractions are just one of several services provided by our team in Westminster, Colorado. The team at Jepsen, Murphy & Associates Dental is often approached by patients who may need to have tooth removal performed.
Why might I need dental extractions?
There are a couple of reasons why you might need to have one or more teeth extracted.
- Significant tooth decay. The most common reason is tooth decay. If the decay is untreated, it can damage the tooth and lead to infection.
- Periodontal disease. Another common reason for extraction is if you have periodontal disease. This is a condition that affects the gums and bones around your teeth. It can cause your teeth to become loose and eventually fall out.
- Third molars. If you have wisdom teeth that are impacting your other teeth, you may need to have them removed. Impacted wisdom teeth will often cause pain, crowding, and infection.
- Orthodontic preparation. If you’re going to get braces, you may need to have some teeth extracted to create space for your new smile.
- Injury/trauma. If a natural tooth has been significantly damaged and the dentist is unable to save the tooth with restorative care, the tooth may need permanent extraction.
What to expect with a simple extraction
If you’re scheduled for a simple extraction, your dentist will numb the area around the tooth so that you won’t feel any pain during the procedure. The tooth is removed using a specialized instrument, and patients will need to care for the area as directed to reduce the risk of complications such as dry socket or infection.
What to expect with surgical extraction
A surgical extraction is needed if a tooth is impacted and underneath the gum line. This means that the dentist will need to cut into the gum tissue to access the tooth in the jawbone. This is a more invasive procedure and does require a longer recovery time than a simple extraction.
Is tooth extraction painful?
For tooth extraction, our team provides proper anesthesia and sedation to ensure patients are comfortable during the procedure. Afterward, a simple over-the-counter pain reliever is all you’ll need to manage any discomfort.
How do I know if I need tooth removal?
Whether you need an emergency tooth extraction or require the extraction of one or more wisdom teeth, the team at Jepsen, Murphy & Associates Dental of Westminster, CO, can assist. Call (303) 800-6884 to request an appointment at our office, conveniently located at 2921 West 120th Avenue, Suite #210.