The American Dental Association and other organizations recommend that young children visit their dentist for the first time before their first birthday or as soon as their first baby tooth erupts through the gum lines. Afterward, visits every six months are strongly encouraged to maintain oral health and wellness. The team at Jepsen, Murphy, and Associates Dental in Westminster, Colorado, can help parents looking for a kid’s dentist “near me” prepare their little one for their first appointment with a dental provider and team!
How to prepare your child for their first visit to the dentist
The team at Jepsen, Murphy, and Associates Dental in Westminster, Colorado, want parents and their children to have a positive experience during their first dental appointment with a pediatric dentist. Below are some recommendations for preparing your child for their time with our dental team:
- Only speak positively about the experience at the dentist to avoid giving them any fears or anxieties about their time spent at the dentist
- Conversations about the visit should focus on the importance of keeping teeth healthy and strong. This helps create a positive learning experience with your child while also providing them with valuable knowledge
- Explain that brushing their teeth at home is important for preventing cavities. Visiting the dentist twice a year to schedule checkups keeps all potential problems in check
- Prepare your child for success by ensuring they have a toy or special item to take with them to the dentist’s chair
- Consider bringing your child to watch you obtain your evaluations and cleanings so they know what to expect and will not be fearful of their upcoming time with the dentist. We can schedule parents and children back-to-back if needed
- Incentivize your child by offering to take them somewhere special or to get a special treat after their appointment if they do well
- Talk to the dentist about any concerns you may have about your child’s smile so they can evaluate further and determine what needs to be done–if anything
- Visit the dental office at some point before your child’s appointment so they can look around and get familiar with the environment. Our dental team also walks children through what they are doing so there are no surprises and children feel involved in their dental care
- Consider bringing headphones and some music for your child to listen to as they get their teeth cleaned, as this can be a great distraction from what the team is doing
- Talk to our dental team about the possible use of nitrous oxide to relax your child before and during their procedure
Request time to speak to our team about your child’s first pediatric dentist visit!
If you reside in Westminster, Colorado, and are interested in getting your child in for their first dental appointment, we welcome you to book a visit with our team at Jepsen, Murphy, and Associates Dental by calling (303) 800-6884.
Share this Article